by Rachel Heerema, 10,000 Hawks
10,000 Hawks is an all-volunteer group of neighbors and concerned citizens working together for a high quality of life for all in East Haven and New Haven. We have many shared concerns and wishes for our families and future generations.
Right now, the most significant impact on our lives is the proposed Tweed expansion. Go to www.10000hawks.org to review primary documents and news articles.
Here are the bare bones of our concerns with the Tweed Airport 5-year Master Plan:
- Six gates in a new terminal sited on extant wetlands with harmful impacts on wildlife and water
- 15-16 flights a day with +3,000 cars a day on residential streets
- Noise and air pollution in a 5-mile radius
- Tweed floodplain will be underwater by 2050, due to estimated sea level rise of 20′
- East Haven and New Haven home values will drop, and long-time residents may leave
- The recommendation that the main runway should be extended to 7,600′ within the next 20 years
Additionally, the 43-year lease agreement contains language that supports eminent domain procedures and cargo flight approval processes.
Join us. Here are two email addresses to know. 1) firstname.lastname@example.org to sign up for weekly updates and join weekly advocacy calls. 2) email@example.com to make a public comment on the Environmental Assessment currently underway.
The best comments to make ask questions that the Assessment should investigate and consider. Contact Rachel Heerema at firstname.lastname@example.org with questions.