Charter Revision Will Be on the Ballot for New Haven Voters on Tuesday, Nov. 7, 2023 Newhavenvotes.org
The Question on the ballot: “Shall Charter changes as recommended by the Charter Revision Commission and adopted by the Board of Alders be approved and adopted?”
What the charter revision recommendations would do:
- Four-year terms for mayor, alder, and city clerk,
- Increase annual stipend for Alders from $2000 to $5000,
- Explicitly clarify that alders must approve all city contracts of at least $100,000,
- Extend the window for alders’ approval of appointees to city boards and commissions from 60 to 90 days,
- Move most requirements for department heads out of the Charter and into the Code of Ordinances, making them easier to change.
- Make language in the charter gender-neutral.
The Registrar of Voters confirmed that the referendum question will be placed on the far right-hand side of the ballot, as they have typically been in the past. We need to work hard reminding voters: “Look to the right-hand side—because on charter revision you decide!” Learn more: www.newhavenvotes.org. New Haven Votes Coalition, PO Box 207063, New Haven.