CT Parents Union (CTPU) has launched a School Board Watch Initiative to ensure individuals we elected or were appointed to Connecticut local and state boards of education are putting the needs of students first over education partisan politics. Parent and community volunteers will evaluate BOE meetings in five governance areas:
- Focus and Mission: The Board is “focused” on achieving fiscal and personnel responsible goals that are in the best interest of ALL students regardless of race, disability or income level.
- Transparency: Board processes are accessible to the public and public treated with respect and dignity;
- Conduct: Conflicts/disagreements are managed respectfully – ALL school boards must lead by example;
- Role Clarity: The Board provides effective leadership and oversight through student-centered planning and strategy processes; and
- Competency: Ensure board members are informed and culturally responsive.
Bottom line: Every Board of Education decision MUST BE in the best interest of the student with fiscal and personnel accountability paramount!
NHPS Parents Group–Fátima Rojas, (203) 747-4309; Sarah Miller, (203) 675-9516, firstname.lastname@example.org.