by Wendy Hamilton, New Haven Mayoral Candidate
This is part of a letter I sent in reply to a form letter from the New Haven Climate Movement.
We have already gone over that cliff called climate change. It has changed, and many will die from it.
Oil, gas, coal, timber, and cattle corporations currently run the world their own way and humans continue to breed in overwhelming numbers despite climate change, bad politics, dire poverty, and growing pollution. Try telling your fellow humans to stop reproducing or to just cut back. I wouldn’t try either.
Essentially, we are doomed as a species to suffer massive losses and very soon. Disease, coastal flooding, mass extinction, loss of diversity, dangerous weather threaten us. I have read many books about these global problems. Also, this country, the most violent and the most weaponized, continues to arm psychopaths and sociopaths of which there is a multitude. As poverty grows, so will crime.
But you ask what I will do as mayor in the here and now —
- I will fight the utility companies and promote solar power.
- I will support Planned Parenthood and parenting education.
- I will encourage mass transit and bicycles.
- I will work with the state to improve bus routes and schedules.
- I will demand more jobs and service from YNHH.
- I will publicize our disastrous air pollution.
- I will create more parks and gardens.
- I will take over blighted lots and buildings for the city.
- I will increase home inspections by LCI.
- I will increase hazardous waste removal and recycling service and improve the city dump.
- I will demand more $$ from Yale Corp. as well as more academic participation in trying to save NH
- I will improve city schools as education is key.