by May Day Celebration Committee
Come celebrate May Day, International Workers’ Day, Sunday, May 1st from 12 noon until 5 p.m. on the New Haven Green. Raindate: Sunday May 8.
This is the 30th consecutive year of May Day on the Green. May Day is a multi-cultural festival featuring live music, poetry, dance, children’s activities, speak-out time, a May Pole Dance and displays and information tables from local labor, peace, social service and social justice groups. May Day is a participatory event that is free and everyone is invited.
At a time when labor unions are being harassed around the country, we celebrate labor unions as being a worker’s best hope. At a time when immigrants are still struggling for their rights, we celebrate our immigrant heritage and culture.
Our featured performers on the New Haven Green include “Coalition Hip Hop” and “N-Finity Muzik.”
For more information visit us at #newhavenmayday or call (203) 843-3069.
Schedule May Day 2016
- Noon Opening Remarks “May Day and New Haven’s demand for immigrant rights”
- 12:15 Steph Serenita (Singer/Songwriter)
- 12:45 Bread Is Rising (Poetry Collective)
- 1 p.m. Open Mic
- 1:15 Phil Dunlop (Clean water activist, Singer/Songwriter)
- 1:30 Luke Rodney (Caribbean, World)
- 2 p.m. Not Here (Jam Music)
- 2:30 Open Mic
- 2:45 Chris Garaffa (ANSWER Coalition –Act Now to Stop War And End Racism)
- 3 p.m. Coalition (Hip Hop)
- 3:30 May Pole Dance led by Bill Fischer with Out On a Whim–Mickey Koth and Kendall Alderman
- 4 p.m. N-Finity Muzik (Hip Hop)
- 4:45 Speak Out Time and Closing Remarks
Also: Fun activities throughout the day–Flint Ladder Circus Arts, New Haven Radical Cheerleaders, Snappy the Peas/ce Pod, Face Painting, Bubbles, Free Vegetarian Food, Graffiti Wall participatory art project, Information Tables