by Barbara Barry, Green Party of CT
The Green Party of Connecticut’s annual meeting will take place Saturday, April 25 from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. at the Portland Waverly Center (former Portland Senior Center), 7 Waverly Ave. in Portland.
Our meeting is open to the public. Only members may vote for the candidates for internal elections or provide input regarding the future focus of the GPCT over the next twelve months.
- 11a.m.: Statements from the candidates for the GPCT Executive Committee (three co-chairpersons, a treasurer and a secretary) and three representatives from the GPCT to the Green Party of U.S. (GPUS). Followed by Q & A.
- 12 p.m.: Potluck lunch break; merchandise is available for GPCT fundraising. Goals of fundraising: money to help petition to acquire 7500 valid signatures to acquire a CT ballot line for the GPUS 2016 presidential candidate; GPCT ability to sponsor or co-sponsor events; administrative costs.
- 12:30 p.m.: Linda Thompson, GPCT co-chairperson, to discuss her recent trip to Cuba with Code Pink.
- 1 p.m.: Deadline for submission of ballots to the Elections Committee.
- 1 p.m.: Tim McKee, as the GPCT liaison to GASP, the Green (Party) Alliances to Stop the (Algonquin) Pipeline, will discuss status.
- 1:30 p.m.: Updates about our 2015 proposals to the CT Legislature.
- 2 p.m.: Session A workshops (choose one): CT Public Banking with Ed Heflin, co-founder of CT Public Banking Institute; Conflict Resolution (facilitator tbd); Mental Health and Public Health Reform with Rolf Maurer and Sheila Matthews from AbleChild.org; Renewable Energy (facilitator tbd); Common Core Reform with Jonathan Pelto.
- 2:45 p.m.: Session B workshops (choose one): Urban/suburban/rural Farming, i.e. farm to table marketing by Paul Gobell and Barbara Barry; Decriminalization of Cannabis and the Use of Hemp Economy with Rolf Maurer and a spokesperson from HempCT.info; Ballot Access and Voting with S. Michael DeRosa and Doug Lary. Demilitarization and Racism (facilitator tbd).
- 3:30 p.m.: All attendees to give feedback regarding the focus of the GPCT for the next twelve months.
- 4 p.m.: Results of the Internal Elections. Selection of date, place and time of the next State Central Committee (SCC) meeting.
The GPCT National Committee representatives will be selected at the next SCC meeting. Date/place and time of the SCC meeting after the 4-25-15 GPCT Annual Meeting, will be determined by the EC elected on 4-25-15. Please let us know if you would like to volunteer for any National Committee(s). For more information about GPUS National Committees, please see www.gp.org/members/committees.